Wednesday, October 22, 2008

i'm a fool for you (and me apparently)

So I realized that over a third of my classes at UNC were foreign languages.  I’m bad at foreign languages, so much that I would say it is my worst subject in school, ever.  Oh and now I’m living in China trying to learn a foreign language. What am I thinking?  I kill my GPA and take a job based on my weakness, I must be an idiot. Oh well.  More generally it made me realize that I have a bad habit of quitting the things in life that I am naturally talented at and sticking with the ones I’m bad at.  Swimming, math, my creative writing minor, and generally anything I excel at beyond normal levels.  Hell, even in the little things like Freecell vs. Spider Solitaire on my comptur, I ditch the 39 win streak on Freecell to play the latter.  And now I play ultimate Frisbee and learn Chinese and am working SEO, something basically brandnew to me.  I must be a fool or a masochist.


Damnit.

3 comments:

Rick said...

You know what, I think about that about myself as well. Maybe we just like challenges. In high school I was pretty good at Math and Latin. Didn't do jack with either in College. Not too bad with sciences, but left that for journalism and now struggling to find a j-job. Did really well in photo and somehow now in a job for Web design? Um yeh. I don't even know how I got here.

For me, it's almost the thrill of semi-knowing that I could be really bad at it naturally, but still being able to achieve something there. Life just isn't as entertaining when everything is 1 + 1. You're only as strong as your greatest weakness, maybe?

Ok, I'm going to stop before my comment becomes longer than your post. =P

爱智 said...

I think many peple have the same problem. I am good at literature rather than math and engineer when I was in high school. But I choose automation in university.So I spent 4 years to convince that I can't be a RD/AE employer. However, I don't feel guity because it's useless. Now I am doing marketing and longing for go back to school to get a master degree of marketing or ecnomy of course.

爱智 said...

And now I think it's sensible to do what you good at and be interested at..